August 17, 2011

Roll Away Sand Box Cover

I used to use a tarp stuck down with tent stakes but, well, you can see what happened.  Every time I watered the lawn I got a mosquito breeding puddle that started to grow slime and when the wind blew the tarp wouldn't stay down and blew all over.


Here is my solution:

I used a piece of shade fabric and stapled it to the sandbox on one side with a staple gun.  On the other side I sewed a pocket and slid a piece of  PVC pipe in it and put end caps on.  I bolted some tarp hooks to the side of the box and now all I have to do is slip the pipe under the hooks and it stays.  Then I can roll it up out of the way while B. is playing.  You have to make sure it's nice and snug so it stays on the hooks.

4 comments:

  1. Where did you attach the tarp hooks? How has this cover held up? Great idea. I'm planning on making one soon. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you show close up pics of hooks? Is it easy enough for kids to roll up? Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you show close up pics of hooks? Is it easy enough for kids to roll up? Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PLEASE show up close pictures of the hooks!!!! I want to make this!!!!

    ReplyDelete